David Chapin, CEO and Chief Strategist
Life Science Marketing Expert
For nearly 30 years, David has provided strategic and tactical life science marketing expertise in the pre-clinical and clinical research, drug development, medical device and life science sectors. He has a keen understanding of scientific and medical concepts and a proven ability to translate them in ways that improve sales and marketing alignment and that can be applied to communications of all types, including lead generation campaigns, content marketing and other thought leadership initiatives, websites, videos, brochures, and more.
David presents to diverse audiences – from C-Suite executives, to researchers, to other technically sophisticated directors and managers – about the challenges of marketing in the life sciences. He has taught or lectured at the Business/Innovation/Growth Council in Charlotte, NC, and several universities and colleges including the College of Design at North Carolina State University, the Kenan-Flagler Business School at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, UNC-Charlotte, East Carolina University, and Peace College. was invited to speak at the South Carolina Arts Commission’s first biennial, state-wide design arts conference entitled “Good Design is Good Business.”
- Author of Making the Complex Compelling: Creating High-Performance Marketing in the Life Sciences
- Named Best Life Science Consultant in Triangle Business Journal’s inaugural 2013 Life Sciences Awards
- Published in Life Science Leader, Impact, and PharmaExec magazines and MedAd News
- Named inventor on more than 40 medical device and instrumentation patents in the U.S. and abroad
- Recognized by AIGA, and featured in the Harvard Business Review, ID magazine, Print magazine, Design News magazine and Medical Marketing and Media
- B.S. in Physics with a minor in Mathematics and Engineering, with Honors, from Swarthmore College
- M.A. in Design from NC State University
Recent speaking engagements
- “The Scientific Mindset is Not Enough: Communicating the value of clinical trials to patients and the public,” Chiltern Innovation Symposium
- MAGI 2015 East Clinical Research Conference
- (VIDEO) “Bridging the Gap Between Scientific and Marketing Worldviews to Tell Your Brand-Story,” with Virginia Bio and Indoor Biotechnologies (Charlottesville, VA)
- (VIDEO) “Making the Complex Compelling: How to Improve Your Life Science Marketing,” North Carolina Council for Innovation Network (NC COIN)
- “Strategic Marketing to Technology-Based Businesses,” Charlottesville Business Innovation Council (CBIC)
- 2013 MD&M Conference, “Break on Through to Creativity” workshop
- “Closing with Case Studies,” with business development consultant Blair Enns, the founder of Win Without Pitching
- 2012 ExL Pharma Business Development Strategies for Clinical Trials Service Providers Summit
- “Positioning and Pitching Your Business,” as a panelist for the Council for Entrepreneurial Development’s CED CAFÉ lunch-series program
- Corporate Design Foundation’s annual symposium in Palisades, NY, entitled: “Design Leadership Symposium: The Intersection of Design and Business”
- Making the Complex Compelling
- Bridge the gap between scientific and marketing worldviews to tell your brand-story
Need a speaker?
Scroll down for a partial list of speaking topics, or download a PDF version of this page.
- Staking a claim in the minds and eyes of the audience
- Identifying and embracing your Brand’s Context, Promise and Personality
- What are your Reasons to Believe?
- The “Blue Ocean:” Content areas where there are few competitors
- Gauging Content Density in the Content Matrix
- Four types of misalignment in the life sciences
- Aligning position with audience needs
- Aligning brand story with position
- Managing and migrating brand families
- Relationships between parent brands and children brands
- From Carl Jung, to Young & Rubicam, to the life sciences
- How managing your brand elicits audience response
- The Archetypes Flowchart
- Knowing your audience, and your competitors
- Unique or Commodity?
Download a PDF version of David’s bio and speaking topics.